Black Beauty - Book Review

Book - Black Beauty

Author - Anna Sewell

Publisher - Penguin Classics

Pages - 193

How Long It Took Me To Read -  4 days





Review -  

"...he said that cruelty was the devil's own trademark, and if we saw any one who took pleasure in cruelty, we might know who he belonged to...On the other hand, where we saw people who loved their neighbours, and were kind to man and beast, we might know that was God's mark, for 'God is Love'."

 The story is about Black Beauty, a horse. It explores his feelings as he grows up, passing from one hands to another, being used by humans with different attitude for different purposes. It throws light on the relationship we humans share with mock and "dumb" animals. Its both heart warming and heart wrenching, depending on various anecdotes given. I loved the writing style adopted by the author and how she made me feel the emotions and feelings of a horse so deeply. If you love animals and want to coexist peacefully with them then I can assure you that you will love this novel.


I strongly feel that this should be made a part of school syllabi so that children can be sensitised towards animals, which is very necessary to sustain the world. Youth needs to be taught how to treat animals with compassion and kindness instead of mocking them or hurting them.

This is for children but I think adults like us can enjoy it equally if we are open minded and can imagine a horse narrating his story to us.
As for me, who's already an animal lover, this book only reinforced my feelings for our four-footed friends, so I absolutely adored the story and I'm sure I'll re-read it again and again. 




General Rating - 5/5

Emotional Appeal - 5/5

Entertainment Quotient - 5/5


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Night Of Happiness - Book Review

Little Women - Book Review

The Graveyard Book - Book Review