Little Women - Book Review

Book - Little Women

Author - Louisa May Alcott

Publisher - Penguin Classics

Pages - 248

  How Long It Took Me To Read - 7 days


Insta: @bookbeliever

Review - I don't know what should I start with, the unique characters or the beautiful plot! Probably I should start with when this story is set and where. So, lets begin and see where this goes.

"Little Women" - the story of 4 sisters- Meg (the lady), Jo (tomboy, wanna-be author), Beth (homely and warm) and Amy (spoiled, charming). It is set during the civil wars (1860's) in England.  It is said that these 4 girls are writer and her sisters. The novel discovers ordinary life of this family in extra-ordinary situations, it depicts the contradictions arising in the lives of these girls. It also has elements of young love, sacrifice and family bonding to it.

What I Liked - First of all, I loved the contrasting characters of the 4 sisters and though all of them were adorable at some or the other point in the book, I particularly loved the character of Jo since I could personally relate to her most of all others. I liked her attitude towards life, her hard outer demeanor but soft inner core and how she sacrificed her own happiness for her family. I also adored Beth, who I think, is one of the most beautifully drawn characters of all time and I would've loved to see her myself!

Secondly, I liked the bond of friendship as is portrayed in the story, how friends are the secret-sharers and how one can be their true self around a true friend. 

Thirdly, family love, bond between sisters and with their mother and father is something praiseworthy. I don't get to read much novels with similar feelings in modern days. How members of a family stick together through thick and thin, helping each other with all they have.

And finally, I was pleasantly surprised at how much I got attached to all the characters! Its not that I've not felt attached to some character in a novel before, but I've never felt attached to so many characters from a single novel! I laughed and cried and got angry and felt happy and sad for all of them at some point or the other.

Ending of this novel is also something that made me cry with happiness.

There is NOTHING in this book that I can say I didn't liked.


General Rating : 5/5

Emotional Appeal : 5/5

Entertainment Quotient : 5/5









Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Night Of Happiness - Book Review

The Graveyard Book - Book Review