Sense And Sensibility - Book Review

Book - Sense And Sensibility
Author - Jane Austen
Publisher - Penguin Classics
Pages - 318
How long it took me to read - 15 days

Gorgeous Book.

Review - This is the first work of Jane Austen and also the first book by her that I read, so obviously it will always hold a special place in my heart. I was planning to read Austen since a long time but it was just this August that I bought this beautiful edition (from Flipkart). I also listened to a free audio book (on YouTube) for a few chapters when I didn't feel like reading from book. I can't do complete justice to her brilliant work in just a few lines but nonetheless I'll try my best to give you a fair idea about what this book has to offer.

The novel is about two sisters - Elinor and Marianne - who are shown as opposite to each other nature-wise. Both of them have heartbreaks in similar manner but each handles the situation very differently, one is very mature and wise while the other is young and has less self-control.
It also depicts the importance of money and status in marriage at that time (18th-19th centuries). The society, as it used to be then, is shown with all its flaws and merits. It is a love story of two sisters who go through some violent emotional upheavals before finally getting to their destinations. But at the same time it is also the story of Edward, Willoughby and Colonel Brandon who had a tough time getting to know their emotions and being able marry their love of life. 

What I Loved About The Novel - Since I absolutely adored this book I'll go through the like-able aspects of it first :-
1. Pace - I found the pace of the story pretty good for a classic, it never felt as if any plot was getting dragged or as if I got bored due to the slow advancement of it. 

2. Language - I love how the old English sounded , the accent was a treat to my ears and mind.

3. Large No. of Characters - I like reading a novel with huge cast and so I was bound to like this book as it had over 15 characters, out of which 7-10 had prominent roles to play.

4.. Character Development - Marianne's character development was interesting to see, I was satisfied by how her feelings and attitude changed for better towards the end of the novel.

5. Satisfying End - I don't know about others but I liked how the story ended. It had some moral lessons for us readers to understand which I found rightly justified. 

What I Disliked About The Novel - I did not find any element of the book which I may say I disliked, except for a few characters (like Steele sisters), which were meant to be disliked.  

Needless to say I LOVED this novel and want to recommend it to everyone !!

General Rating - 5/5

Emotional Appeal - 5/5

Entertainment Quotient - 5/5


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Night Of Happiness - Book Review

Little Women - Book Review

The Graveyard Book - Book Review